Old March 1st 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Rich McAllister K6RFM Rich McAllister K6RFM is offline

Default Encouraging LOTW

writes:

On Feb 28, 9:50 pm, Rich McAllister K6RFM wrote:
writes:

I've never operated from a DX country where one did not need to keep
tabs on his license.

Under what circumstances does a German, Canadian or UK ham have to produce a
paper copy, and to whom?

The hassle is probably much more of a barrier than the monetary
cost, for sure.

Even in places like Sierra Leone, it is possible to find a street
corner stand with a copy machine.

I don't particularly care about the Sierra Leones of the world, people
operating from there are generally very highly motivated and one of
the main goals is to get the QSLs out. I'm more interested in
greasing the skids for a large population of more casual ops, probably
in the big developed countries where the welfare state has created a
sense of entitlement.

If the object is being able to
participate in the LOTW program, what real barrier is presented by
having to photocopy a couple of documents and mail them?

The barrier of going out, getting photocopies, finding a big-enough
envelope, determining and acquiring the right amount of postage. It
doesn't sound like much, but the alternative is to not do it at all,
which is *way* less work on a relative basis. US hams just have to
log on to a web site twice, waiting for a postcard in between. It was
worth some amount of organizational effort to make it easy for US
hams, why isn't it worth the same to do so for others?

I disagree with you, Rich. If there are DX station who find it too
much trouble to participate in LOTW, let them be non-participants.

But I *want* them to be participants.

Either they want to participate or not.

Fallacy of the excluded middle here, they may want to participate but
also want to spend the afternoon running a new feed line instead of
getting photocopies and standing in line at the post office.

Copying and mailing documents aren't the real difficulty of using
LOTW.

But it's the part that's different for non-US hams. Hassling with the
certificates and logging software is pretty much the same for
everybody.

Opinions do differ. Some people don't care much about QSLs at all;
this is a pretty common (not universal!) attitude among
contesters.

Again, I disagree. Many contesters are also DXers. They understand
that the other guy is attempting to confirm a QSL for awards credit.
A number of them send out QSLs to every station worked in a contest,
the object being to insure that those stations work the contester the
next time 'round.

Some people QSL 100% just to avoid the hassle of keeping track of QSLs
sent and owed, batch processing being less time consuming than
individual transactions. This way they can just throw away any
incoming QSLs, and do.

As you note, right now contesters pretty much have to do it as part of
the game. LOTW has the possiblity of making it easier for the big
statiions that pound out a lot of Q's while still rewarding the award
chasers for getting on in the contest. We get to keep the fun part
and reduce the busywork part, sure seems like a win to me.

There's nothing at all wrong with using both LOTW and direct, paper
QSL cards.

Who said there was? Where did this come from?

On the other hand, I don't respond to any "QSL's" via E-QSL. Those
confirmations don't count toward many awards and certainly don't count
for DXCC credit.

I fooled with eQSL for a while (mostly before LOTW got started.) I
eventually came to the conclusion it was pointless and gave up.

Rich, K6RFM