Old February 26th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default New government rules mandating hands-free devices in vehicles

In "Jack VK2CJC"
wrote:

Sounds similar to the regulations we now have here in the UK,
although the law here is specifically limited to cellular devices,
normal 2-way radio equipment is exempt, so we amateurs are ok,

Same situation here in Australia.

Although I always felt that the only thing that made "two way radio"
exempt from the regs was that the police and ambulance guys would then
be unable to use their radios without a second operator.

I wonder if they have thought of that in the US?

Most likely not; legislators rarely consult with people familiar with
the areas in which they legislate, unless they've received sufficient
campaign donations.

There are a number of bills pending before the Minnesota legislature
intended to regulate the use of cellphones and the like in automobiles;
one, if passed and enforced as written, would completely outlaw use of
all radios of any kind in automobiles, under any circumstances.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN