Old March 4th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Tube equipment question

" wrote in
ups.com:

Failure to properly
neutralize a final RF amp can result in heating sufficient
to melt the glass envelope enough to let air in and thus
destroy the tube (an 833 that was mounted on the control
console at Army station ADA for weeks as a reminder).

I would also suspect that when dealing with 15 KW transmitters,
errors would be pretty unforgiving.

What are the practical limitations of the Tube finals apparent
flexibility?

That's in many decades of old literature and covered
extensively. Data from commercial service transmitters
is more comprehensive than amateur types as a
general rule. Some of that may be hard to get now.

I'm going to have to try to find some of the literature.

Remember: All electronics works by smoke. If the smoke
gets out, it won't work... :-)

Thanks much Len - I'm digesting the info now. I know it seems a
little strange to become interested in tube equipment at this late stage,
butour hobbies sometimes take us in strange directions. 8^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -