Old March 5th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Tube equipment question

wrote:

If the only antennas we have are trapped verticals, tribanders or
dipoles/inverted vees cut for the band to be used, we might get away
with not having to use a tuner at all. Still there are likely to be
frequencies significantly removed from the antenna's resonant
frequency where one might need a tuner to enable the transmitter to
make full power. We aren't likely to need a wide range tuner for
those times. A simple T-match will likely enable us to find a
combination of settings which will present a low VSWR to the
transmitter. The main alternative is to have a variety of antennas
which present a VSWR of under 2:1 to a transmitter.

That brings up a related issue. Lots of Hams today are restricted to
one antenna, yet they would like all band operation. I think it would be a
great idea for a manufacturer to have a transciever that included a tuner
right in the rig itself.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -