Old March 5th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Tube equipment question

"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

My main HF rig and my husband's main HF rig both have built in tuners.
Both work pretty well. However they do not have the range of
outboard tuners.

I should have noted large range and balanced/unbalanced output. My
IC-761 has an autotuner on it that works pretty well with my vertical
antenna. The dipole is run with balanced line, and needs a different
tuner.

A lot of commericial and military equipment have built in tuners with
quite significant tuning ranges. Of course this comes at a price so
amateur gear doesn't have as much range in their tuning capacity on
the built in tuners.

Size can be an issue too. The IC 761's tuner is a pretty tiny
thing. I had to take an IC 765's autotuner 9 (very similar) apart once to
repair it, and it was around the size of one of the mfj tiny tuners.

A little bigger components, plus a 4:1 balun, and they would have
it.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -