Old March 6th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Tube equipment question

wrote:

These conditions may be partially remedied by use of a balun
that can be switched to either 4:1 or 1:1 ratio, and by choosing
antenna and feedline combinations that don't result in extreme
values of shack-end impedance/reactance. But that reduces
the flexibility of the system.

True enough.

snip

You can read AG6K's article he

http://www.somis.org/bbat.html

and judge for yourself.

I have gathered the parts to make just that!. I'd have it up now, but I
switched to a coax fed antenna for a while, and built a more traditional
tuner. In the interim I went back to balanced line.

AG6K's approach used two ganged roller inductors and
a single variable capacitor, compared to most commercial
manual tuners that use two variable caps and a single variable
inductor. Because there are only two controls, remoting the
tuner is made easier.

Some day I'll report on how mine is doing. In the present situation I
don't need remote tuning, but will probably motorize the unit anyway.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -