Old March 10th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Gunshannon[_2_] Bill Gunshannon[_2_] is offline

Default PRB-1 and CC&R's

In article ,
Alan WA4SCA writes:
Hi,

Some time back, I did some looking around for an Arizona retirement
home. In an area with approximately 100k population, I saw exactly 2
real HF stations with a true antenna farm in a week. Both were owned
by people whose family had been there before the boom, and were
grandfathered. Except for that, I saw a low dipole, a couple of
flagpoles which were disguised verticals, and one StepIR vertical
standing proudly in someone's back yard. That turned out to be an
interesting story, since the residents of the new development had
voted not to form a HOA. So while it violated the CC&Rs, there was no
organization to enforce it.

Being a place where they prided themselves on being "rustic," they had
instituted some very tight zoning on antennas of every sort. However,
the real problem, from a ham standpoint, was posed by the HOAs and
CC&Rs. They were so standard and pervasive that except for some very
old areas, there was no place to buy which did not have them. As a
buyer, you had no input to their formulation, and because they are
considered private agreements, you had little appeal if you could not
get a waiver from the HOA. According to the locals, you basically
worked 2 meters, used a stealth antenna, or bought a house out in the
county. Way out.

I am all in favor of allowing people to pick an area where the
environment is congenial to them. However, when there may as well be
a sign on the city limits saying "Hams Not Welcome," even if that is
not the intend, it may be time to at least have a vigorous discussion
of the formulations of CC&Rs. As for me, I decided to stay were I am,
where they consider regulation the last resort, not the first.

Having not been actively involved in ham radio for several years
(actually, more than a decade) I am amazed to see the same arguments
still going on. This one in particular.

Hams make up approximately 00.2% of the US population. And, decreasing
every year. Why would you be surprised that more and more places don't
want structures they consider unsightly in their neighborhoods.

As has already been stated (and was stated when we argued this more
than a decade ago) CC&R's are contractual matters and you are not
going to see laws to overturn or limit them. If you move into an
area that doesn't allow antennas it was your decision. The argument
that you can't find a place that allows them is bogus. What you
can't find is a place that is willing to operate by your terms.
If you want an antenna farm buy property where that is allowed. If
you want to live in developed neighborhood, then either build one
full of hams or accept that your neighbors don't share your idea
of aesthetics.

bill
KB3YV

| and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include std.disclaimer.h