Old April 12th 04, 08:09 PM
Harold E. Johnson

If you do use diodes for higher-order harmonic generation, and not
just a simple full-wave-rectifier type frequency doubler, I suppose
you want something of the nature of a step recovery diode. That
implies minority carrier stored charge in the diode, and that would
preclude using a Schottky diode (which would work great in the
full-wave-rectifier type doubler). If you get into actually wanting
to generate harmonic combs out to microwave frequencies, it's probably
worthwhile looking for diodes actually characterized for step recovery
service. But I really think that's way beyond what you are trying to
accomplish right now.

My turn to learn something here. Tom, would you elaborate a bit on the above
please? I know SRD's are comb generators out to visible light, but they're
also 50 percent hard to find and 50 percent magic. I've been using
Schottky's for X16 multipliers to 2 GHz, am I doing something wrong? (I keep
promising myself that I'm gonna substitute an MMIC for that one day, I DID
find the "Filter Gain" in the line length from generator to filter), THAT
was both impressive AND helpful. If I go with the MMIC, any preference of
Silicon over GaAs?

Regards

W4ZCB