Old March 14th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Extension of PSK segment

wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:01 am, Michael Coslo wrote:
What is the process of modifying the gentlemen's agreements?
Specifically, I would like to explore the idea of adding a new PSK31
segment or two.

Hi Mike,

I'm not a big fan of "gentlemen's agreements". Neither am I a fan of
FCC mandated "segment by mode", a related issue.

If the "market" is demanding more space for PSK31, then let the market
forces prevail. A broader PSK31 segment will occur (or not occur)
based on the priciple of supply/demand.

I guess that would mean a group of us PSK'ers would decide to pick
another frequency as secondary and start moving there. Keeping in mind
that we are a tiny (but growing) segment of the activity, just one SSB
signal in width per band essentially. We need to know where to find each
other.

Were it up to me the FCC would get out of the business of regulation-
by-mode and simplify 97.305 would be simplified to read: "Here are
your band segments by license class. Stay inside them and play nice
with each other."

I guess the key would be just how nicely we would play with each other.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -