Old March 15th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Extension of PSK segment

On Mar 14, 4:28?pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

What would be nice would be some extra suggestions. What
would be nice would be to have another couple SSB signals
worth of
space, separated by enough to allow a RTTY signal or two between 'em.

I disagree!

It seems to me that the best way for the different modes to
coexist is for like modes to cluster together, rather than being
spread about the band. If PSK31 is currently between
Frequency A and Frequency (A plus 2.7 kHz), and more room is needed,
it seems the most logical thing to do is to
spread out a little below A and/or a little above (A plus 2.7)
That way it's easy to find each other.

IMHO the whole point of gentleman's agreements is not to set
a hard line in the sand that marks absolute territory (the regs
do that)., but rather to be a flexible line that moves as
conditions warrant.

This will be more and more important in the future, as more
diverse modes share the same bandspace, often without the
ability to intercommunicate.

Expecting every amateur station to be equipped to transmit
and receive every possible digital mode in use by hams on
a band just isn't reasonable. So we need gentleman's
agreements.

IMHO.

73 de Jim, N2EY