Old March 16th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Newby Newby is offline

Default Public service and ham radio

"Steve Bonine" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 5:20 pm, Steve Bonine wrote:

[snipped]

I seem to recall the word "financial", coupled with the words
"background check".
Am I mistaken?

You're not mistaken about recalling the words. The Red Cross is not
doing a financial background check. There is controversy on how the
wording reads on the web site that does the background check. I believe
that the problem has been worked out, but the last I checked the
information on the ARRL web site had not been updated.

[snipped]

"Background check" sounds too intrusive. If it is a criminal records check,
than say "criminal records check."

The reason that the Red Cross instituted background checks was to try to
prevent the type of fraud that occurred during Katrina. There's no
correlation between having an FCC license and passing a background
check. I'd like to think that all licensed amateurs are honest
upstanding folks, but I know that's not true.

[snipped]

I don't recall hearing anything about ham radio operators commiting fraud.
I did hear a lot about 'victims' perpatrating fraud.

[snipped]

Yes, I did run into a few radio amateurs during the Katrina operation
who were not mentally stable. Fraud? No. Irrational behavior? Yes.
Would a background check have had any effect? I don't know. It MIGHT
have kept them at home. Or not.

[snipped]

Often we use our own frame of reference to judge the actions of others.
Perhaps some of those mentioned above might have a different view of your
actions than you do. Perhaps to some of them, your actions might be deemed
to be 'irrational'; not saying that is the case at all. A criminal records
check will not uncover that kind of behavior unless it is related to some
offense. A full blown background check, where neighbors are interviewed,
might uncover it but it is not likely.