Old March 16th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Extension of PSK segment

John Smith I wrote:

"The market" spoke very clearly, in the form of comments
to FCC. The CTT proposal was overwhelmingly
opposed. About 7 out of 8 comments on it clearly said NO.
Sounds like a clear message from the market to me!

73 de Jim, N2EY

However, if a new market comes forth, one composed of amateurs with
little or no knowledge of CW and only using digital voice and digital
data transmission--it would be market controlled also, and one would
suspect it would self-correct and frown on the use of the bands for
wasteful analog and cw communications.

I would disagree. Those modes are not wasteful. On the other hand, a
vision of using the HF bands for data transmission would indeed be a way
of filling up our bands pretty quickly, and for not a lot of gain. If
I'm interested in Data Transmission, I would design a system for
frequencies where there is less natural noise - VHF and up. Then
bandwidth issues would be less of a problem too.

Let's face it, digital voice is the only way to go.

I would disagree. What I have seen in digital voice so far offers no
particular advantage over SSB, unless we are talking about digital for
it's own sake. Most schemes that I have seen have some fatal flaws, such
as the received transmission must be received in toto - IOW if you don't
catch the beginning, you don't catch anything. The solution to that
would be channelizing HF, or assigning specific frequencies to Digital
voice. In addition, unless there have been some big advances recently,
Digital voice does not have any particular bandwidth advantages.

Give me a Digital voice mode that I can tune across the band and pick up
a conversation at any point in the transmission, and a 1 KHz or less
bandwidth signal, and then I'll be interested. And of course, I'll need
to see that some other folks are buying the digital radios too, so I'll
have people to talk to.

PSK is too slow for
data transmission of LARGE and multi-megabyte amounts of data, end of
story.

As for PSK, you are correct that it is too slow for data transmission.
But that little 31 baud signal was never intended for Data transmission.
It was intended for correctable text at a rate that a reasonably
proficient typist could tap away at the keyboard in real time. Also a
mode that can be efficiently operated at QRP and lover levels. And for
that, it is an excellent mode.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -