Old March 17th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Extension of PSK segment

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 11:38�pm, John Smith I wrote:
wrote:

[snip]

PSK is too slow for
data transmission of LARGE and multi-megabyte amounts of data, end of
story.

Not the end of the story at all.

Yes, PSK31 is too slow for large amounts of data - because
it wasn't designed for that. PSK31 was designed to be a
keyboard-to-keyboard mode that uses very little bandwidth and has
excellent performance with low S/N ratios. It was
meant as an improvement to FSK RTTY for such QSOs.

My question on this is why would we be sending large amounts of data on
amateur radio? The need for it doesn't exist in general. If it did,
someone would have developed the appropriate digital mode by now.

Dee, N8UZE