Old March 17th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Extension of PSK segment

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 17, 1:19 am, "Dee Flint" wrote:

My question on this is why would we be sending large amounts of data on
amateur radio?

"Because we can"

Now that is the best answer I've seen. It embodies the spirit of amateur
radio and the idea of experimenting be it hardware or software.

Actually, I agree that there may be no particular ongoing NEED for an
Amateur Radio high volume data channel, but neither was there a NEED
for LEOs, APRS, and similar "tinkerer" modes, many of which had their
genesis in ham shacks and now have morphed into commercial
applications.

That is how I view amateur radio. The concept is to develop something new
and different not to try to integrate commercial developments into amateur
radio unless it were necessary to use as a basis for that "new and
different" development.

Dee, N8UZE