Old March 18th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default Extension of PSK segment

wrote:
On Mar 14, 1:47�am, wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:01 am, Michael Coslo wrote:

What is the process of modifying the gentlemen's agreements?
Specifically, I would like to explore the idea of adding a new PSK31
segment or two.

Were it up to me the FCC would get out of the business of regulation-
by-mode and simplify 97.305 would be simplified to read: "Here are
your band segments by license class. Stay inside them and play nice
with each other."

This doesnt' work with other radio services very well. Why would
it be appropriate for Amateur Radio?

Because amateur radio is supposed to be self regulating.

Perhaps my impression is wrong, in which case I hope that someone will
correct me, but don't most countries treat the regulation of amateur
radio more like "here are your allocations"?

I would like to think that there are enough gentlemen in ham radio that
gentlemen's agreements and voluntary bandplans would be sufficient.
Based on what I hear on the air, that's a rather silly hope.
Nonetheless, it reflects badly on our hobby that an agency needs to
stand by with a big stick to make us do what we should be able to do on
our own.

73, Steve KB9X