Old March 18th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Richard Crowley[_2_] Richard Crowley[_2_] is offline

Default Call signs for foreign amateurs operating in US

"Rick" wrote ...
In the old days, a foreign amateur operating in the US, or a US
amateur
operating in a foreign country, would use his own call sign, a slant
bar,
and the prefix of the country or location in which he is operating,
e.g.
"G5ABC/W1".

Somewhere along the way that got changed so that the prefix is now
inserted ahead of the call sign instead of after, e.g. "W1/G5ABC".

When did that rule change go into effect? It must have been sometime
during the 1990's when I was inactive on ham radio ... one of the many
rule changes that surprised me when I got back into it in 2001, such
as
the 5 WPM code requirement for Extras for whom it used to be 20 WPM...

Don't look now, but it is zero WPM. For everyone. :-)

When I sat for my written test, I took the one for General
also. I hadn't studied for it at all, but it didn't cost anything
extra. I missed it by two points, else I would be a General
today. I guess I'll have to break down and study this time.

Richard Crowley KE7GKP