Old March 18th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones Ivor Jones is offline

Default Call signs for foreign amateurs operating in US

"Rick" wrote in message
news
In the old days, a foreign amateur operating in the US,
or a US amateur operating in a foreign country, would use
his own call sign, a slant bar, and the prefix of the
country or location in which he is operating, e.g.
"G5ABC/W1".

Somewhere along the way that got changed so that the
prefix is now inserted ahead of the call sign instead of
after, e.g. "W1/G5ABC".

When did that rule change go into effect? It must have
been sometime during the 1990's when I was inactive on
ham radio ... one of the many rule changes that surprised
me when I got back into it in 2001, such as the 5 WPM
code requirement for Extras for whom it used to be 20
WPM...

Hmm, interesting. The last time I operated in the US was 2004 and I
definitely used G6URP/W6 (in California) then.

Having said that, I just read my licence conditions which came into effect
when the new "lifetime" licence was issued in January of this year and you
would appear to be correct.

Ivor