Old March 19th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Being paid while you operate

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:17:10 CST, Rick wrote:

Does this mean that if I'm sitting at my desk at work, doing a job that
doesn't have anything to do with radio, and during break time I pick up my
HT and call someone on the local repeater, that I'm violating FCC rules?

That would be a bizarre interpretation, and not anything I've ever seen
before in 42 years as a ham...

If you are doing this "on your own time" (which includes break time)
and does not have anything to do with the business of the employer or
the job that you are hired for or work that you are assigned to do,
then there's no violation involved. This is no different from reading
a book or balancing your checkbook on break time.

Of course if your employer objects, you may find yourself with lots of
time to work ham radio!!
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel