Old March 19th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones Ivor Jones is offline

Default Call signs for foreign amateurs operating in US

"Phil Kane" wrote in message

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:38:07 CST, Rick
wrote:

Somewhere along the way that got changed so that the
prefix is now inserted ahead of the call sign instead
of after, e.g. "W1/G5ABC".

When did that rule change go into effect?

That change went into effect with the Commission's Order
FCC 98-204 released October 1, 1988 in WT Docket 98-20,
setting up the ULS and authorized CEPT and CITEL foreign
licensed amateurs to operate in the US without formal US
reciprocal licensing.

Are you certain of the date..? I certainly had to apply for reciprocal
"Alien Permits" the first 2 times I operated in the US, in 1993 & 1995.
From 2000 on I never had to apply for one, but I'm sure I still put the

local prefix after my own call rather than before.

73 Ivor G6URP