Old March 19th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Being paid while you operate

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:37:25 CST, Larry wrote:

What about ARRL employees who are paid for amateur related work?

There is a specific exemption in the Rules for operators at W1AW.

Case in point - An ARRL tech is being paid to test, in the ARRL Lab, a new
2 meter radio for publication in the magazine companies August issue. He's
being paid to write the article and operate the radio, right?

How do you know that s/he is not operating into a dummy load? g

The answer is in the content of the communication. If the content is
on the business of the employer, it is improper. If it's just general
hamming, especially if it's under the W1AW "umbrella" then it's not
improper.

It's no different from me borrowing a specific piece of equipment to
evaluate and then writing a magazine article on it for which I am
being paid

Of course, how does a magazine company with paid subscribers get a ham
license in the first place (W1AW)??

The ARRL is a membership organization. The licensee of W1AW is the
ARRL Headquarters Operators Club, a bona fide amateur radio club. They
do not operate the station to further the publishing arm of the ARRL.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon