Old March 19th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
xpyttl xpyttl is offline

Default ICOM 7000 vs Yaesu FT-897D

I have a 7000 and love it to death. I have a couple of 706's, they are
nice, but the 7000 is a step up. The 700 does have an awful lot of stuff on
the menus, but they have moved most of the things you want to get to out
onto the panel. There is a button every place there could possibly be a
button!

Personally, I happen to like Icom's ergonomics better than Yaesu. Not as
good in that department as Elecraft, but generally well thought out. (I'm
kind of a CW guy so maybe Elecraft is a little more CW focused).

The DSP on the 7000 is a giant step up from the 706 (can't speak for the
Yaesu). Not only does it do filtering and adjustable edges, but there are a
pair of notches that actually work. The DSP noise reduction and ANF seem to
work a little better than the 706.

Kinda cool that you can get a waterfall display on the front panel, but
unless you are a RTTY guy, probably not all that useful... but cool.
Bandscope is OK, better than the 706, but could be better. SWR graph is a
wonderful thing.

Although it kinda sorta looks like a 706, and there is some commonality with
the menu of the 706, it definitely ain't a 706. Way better in a ton of
ways.

"Newby" wrote in message
Would appreciate opinions from those who are familiar with either or both
radios. Still trying to decide what to buy. Don't like the detached head
of the Kenwood 480 SAT.

73.