Old March 19th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Upgrade to Extra using 2001 License Manual?

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 18, 3:30�pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 18, 11:24?am, Rick wrote:
Is the 2001 ARRL Extra Class License Manual still sufficient for
taking
and passing the current (2007) Element 4 written, or should I spend
the
money for a newer license manual?

I would suggest just going towww.ncvec.organd downloading
your choice of the current Extra exam and/or the one that
will go into effect in July of this year. You can then look them
over and see what you need to study more. The changes
might be slight such as the regulations (affected by the
restructuring of 2000?) but the VEC might have changed a
few "distractor" questions...:-)

Be aware that the Extra written element has about sixteen
times as many quesions as the minimum ten required by
the FCC. That is, to me, highly commendable of the NCVEC.
It is now more difficult to "memorize" everything on a test.

The General class pool changes July 1, 2007. The Extra will not change
until July 1, 2008.

The effectivity dates for the current Extra question pool a July 1,
2002
until June 30, 2008.

Thank you, Dee. Correction noted. I took and passed all
three on 25 Feb 07 so I guess my memory just crossed
it out on effective dates of exams. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

It gets confusing even for those of us who need to stay on top of it. The
Extra pool was originally slated to expire in 2006 but it was extended two
years as the VECs decided that the Tech needed reworked in 2006. Then they
proceeded to the General for 2007. This pushed the Extra out to 2008.

Dee, N8UZE