Old March 20th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Russ Russ is offline

Default Being paid while you operate

Being a Taxi driver and being dispatched by amateur radio = No - No!
Being a Taxi driver and visiting with friends on the local 2-meter while
waiting for a fa No Problem.

Being an engineer for BNSF and talking to the conductor about the condition
of the train with 2-meter ham radio's = NO-NO!

Being a engineer/conductor and talking to the automobile driving down the
highway about the train on 2 meter simplex: No problem.

Space Shuttle (ISS) astronauts use Sarex to talk to school children all the
time, no problem, but if NASA used the amateur radio equipment to control
the flight then there would be a problem.

If you use the ham equipment IN/FOR your job is the problem.
If you use the ham equipment while at your job is only a problem if it
interfeers with your job performance.

Simple logic rules.
Russ

"Rick" wrote in message
news

In studying for my Extra, using the ARRL Extra Class License Manual
(2001), I came across an interesting note...

"There is a general rule that you may not be paid to operate your Amateur
Radio station. In most cases this also means that you cannot operate an
Amateur Radio station during the time that you are being paid by your
employer."

Does this mean that if I'm sitting at my desk at work, doing a job that
doesn't have anything to do with radio, and during break time I pick up my
HT and call someone on the local repeater, that I'm violating FCC rules?

That would be a bizarre interpretation, and not anything I've ever seen
before in 42 years as a ham...