Old March 21st 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Tech Plus upgrading to?

"Jim Langston" wrote in message
I'm a technitian plus and my license expires next January. I figure
rather than just reupdating it, I would want to upgrade. I actually
haven't used a ham radio for years. About 4 years ago I was trading cars
and put my 2m into storage, which then we lost (long story) and haven't
used a ham radio since.

Anyway, I understand that the different classes have changed (tech plus
doesn't even really exist anymore, does it?). I used to be, if I remember
corretly, novice, tech, tech plus, general, expert. Now I *think* it's
technitian, general, expert. Am I correct? I already have my 5wpm morse
code but don't have any of my paperwork anymore (including my license).

What will I need to provide to prove I have the 5wpm morse code? Will I
need to get a new copy of my license? I had my address updated a few days
ago and it should be updated by now, if so I'll request a duplicate of my
license.

Any advice would be great.

The current license classes are Technician, General, and Extra. There is no
code test for any class of license so you will not need to provided proof of
passing it. You will need to have your current license or proof of license.

To upgrade, you will just have to pass the written exams: element 3 to go to
General and then Element 4 to go to Extra. You will also need your license,
photocopy of the license, picture ID, and the test session fee.

Check the frequency charts on ARRL. Your HF privileges have changed. You
now have CW privileges in the General CW portions of 15m, 40m, and 80m.
Note however, that the General CW portion on 80m has also changed.