Old March 21st 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dennis Brothers Dennis Brothers is offline

Default Being paid while you operate

"Larry" wrote in message

Hospital workers and emergency service personnel are all being "paid" to
operate ham radio after they get their licenses, as are NOAA Weather
Bureau
bureaucrats at WX4CHS, at the Charleston Weather Bureau Office.

None that I know of have been busted.

Larry W4CSC
--

This was explicitely addressed in the October Omnibus Report & Order:

52. Mr. DiGennaro also requests that we amend Section 97.113 our Rules,
which
prohibits "[c]ommunications for hire or for material compensation, direct or
indirect, paid or
promised," by amateur stations,227 to clarify that amateur licensees who, by
virtue of their
employment, are directly involved in facilitating relief and recovery in
times of disaster are not
prohibited from effecting emergency communications using amateur radio.228
We conclude that
the proposed rule change is not necessary, however, because Section 97.113
does not prohibit
amateur radio operators who are emergency personnel engaged in disaster
relief from using the
amateur service bands while in a paid duty status.229 These individuals are
not receiving
compensation for transmitting amateur service communications; rather, they
are receiving
compensation for services related to their disaster relief duties and in
their capacities as
emergency personnel.230

- Dennis Brothers, N1DB