Old March 21st 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Russ Russ is offline

Default Being paid while you operate

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 20, 2:57�pm, Rick wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:40:22 -0400, Russ wrote:

And that's true. Except in certain specific cases, an
Amateur Radio operator cannot be paid to operate
an Amateur Radio station.

In most cases this also means that you cannot
operate an Amateur Radio station during the time that you are being paid
by your employer.".

That's true as well - in *most* cases. Not *all* cases.

Where do you suppose they came up with that goofball interpretation of
the
rule?

It's not a "goofball interpretation" at all. It's just common
sense. In *most* cases you cannot legally operate an
Amateur Radio station during the time that you are being paid by your
employer.

The exceptions a

- Teachers and other educators that use Amateur Radio as
part of the curriculum (that's in the rules)
- Break times, layover/rest times and meal periods, when
the employee is being paid but is not expected to be working.
- Space Shuttle and other space operations (generally considered to be
a combination of the above two exceptions)
- In an emergency situation if all other means of
communication are not available. (This applies to just about
any radio available - but it better be a real emergency!)

Ok...
I'm on a salary, I get paid for a week of work but I take a day off to go
fishin'... I talk on my 2mtr and by your interpertation, I'm illegal because
I'm using my 2mtr while I'm getting paid.

I think a little common sense goes a long ways here.

Now, the rule was meant that amateurs can not and will not use their radio
for conducting business. That's the illustration of the taxi driver or the
railroad engineer. They can't conduct actual business over amateur radio
while at work or when off. They can, however, if within the rules and
regulations of their particular company, talk to friends about non-business
related chit-chat.

I have worked for an automotive dealer for 30 years. I catch myself giving
automotive advise (service/parts type of advise) and wonder if I'm violating
the business rule. I've had many private discussions with VE's and many
others, and we figured out that as long as I don't ask them to come down and
purchase a part/have the service done/ buy a car from me then I'm ok giving
advise on how to fix the problem or what to look for or what to buy or how
to do it, etc.

Now, while at work, and I see a storm comming, I'll make my report. If I'm
takin' a break and go outside and talk to a friend on a machine for 5~10
minutes, I'm not breaking any FCC rules, nor am I breaking any company rules
about radio communications.