Old March 23rd 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne, W1AC Bill Horne, W1AC is offline

Default Ladder line routing

Michael Coslo wrote:
The XYL has expressed her dismay at my ladder line coming down over the
roof the way it does. I plan on rerouting it this spring.

I plan on routing the line along the roofline, then run it to and
below the soffit. Then into the usual entrance.

What is a good holder for the ladder line - basic windowed plastic
variety?

But my biggest concern is that metal soffit. I'll be running along
about 20 feet of that, and I suspect that there will be some effect.
What is a safe distance from the soffit?

Mike,

If you're using ladder line on 160, 80, or 40, I recommend you just
substitute coax. Assuming a reasonably cut antenna, the loses aren't
high enough to hastle with the extra mounting stand-offs ladder-line
requires.

Alternatively, you could drop the ladder-line directly from the antenna
to a 4-to-1 or 6-to-1 balun, and use coax from there. I've seen both
approaches used with good results.

W1AC

--
73,

Bill W1AC

(Remove "73" and change top level domain for direct replies)