Old March 24th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Extension of PSK segment

wrote in news:1174628469.011228.92910
@l75g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Kinda like I'd like to see the amateur bands, open for the explorers
and visionaries (so long as they're polite to the other children.

I think that the crux *is* just that politeness though, Hans. When the
PSK31 segment (as an example) is stomped on by the robot Winlink
stations, who is playing politely? Yeah, I guess we can just move, but
won't it be fun to try to figure out where? And our next stop can just as
easily be disrupted by whatever wideband mode decides to park itself
right over top of us. Eventually a survival of the fittest situation
occurs, and I suspect that Winlink stations and SSB would come to be the
only modes around. And that would be a real tragedy. No DX windows, no
areas in which to search those who pursue the same modes as you seems
like a recipe for chaos. And I suspect that the Gentlemen's agreements
came about for those reasons, not that the people who came up with such
things lacked intelligence or vision.

I look at the framework as a guideline of just where I might like
to pursue my particular part of this hobby. If it were just a matter of
SSB and OOK CW, it would be one thing, but these days there is OOK CW,
SSB, RTTY, PSK31, 64, SSTV, Pactor, and on and on. Many modes, and some
don't exist very well together. Not all regulation is bad. In fact
excessive regulation and no regulation at all produce strikingly similar
results.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -