Old March 24th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne, W1AC Bill Horne, W1AC is offline

Default Rediscovering the hobby.

Paul Huff wrote:
[snip] I'm trying to come back to the hobby
after a long absence. I have a limited (read hardly any) budget, and
an older handie-talkie. I think I'll need more than just local repeater
rag-chewing to get me into it the hobby all the way. Anybody have any
suggestions?

Also appreciated would be suggestions on beefing up my technical
knowledge. I'm afraid I'm probably not even close to having myself up
to the level I was at when I took my Technician test... So, I
probably have to start from close to a clean slate.

Paul,

Welcome back!

All hams are on a budget, although some have a _larger_ budget than
others ;-). Probably the best way to improve your technical skills while
building a station is to trade for or buy some older radio and spend the
time to get it on the air: there are many "boatanchor" rigs available
for reasonable money, provided you're not looking to start with a KWM-2,
and the experience and contacts you'll get in the process will also help
to get you up to speed.

First, join a local club and ask around about used rigs. Many hams have
equipment they used as novices still on a shelf, including receivers
such as Drake 2-A's or such, and although code may not be your mode of
choice, you can often add a modulator to a novice CW rig and join the AM
renaissance on 75 meters for very short money. If you prefer SSB, there
are many older rigs that can be had for reasonable cost, especially from
other club members, such as Swan 350's or Heathkit HW-101's.

Ebay is a good source for ideas, but I'd avoid it for purchases until
you're more familiar with the boatanchor world - parts availability,
rigs to avoid, etc.: for now, buy or trade with people you live next to,
and you'll do a lot better.

HTH.

Bill

--
73,

Bill W1AC

(Remove "73" and change top level domain for direct replies)