Old March 26th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Paul Huff Paul Huff is offline

Default Rediscovering the hobby.

"KH6HZ" writes:

I definitely 2nd the recommendation of the local club.

In fact, what you might want to do is visit a bunch of local clubs. Some
local clubs actually have "ham shacks" which you can operate out of. For
example, W1AQ in Rhodyland is one such club.

The nice thing about these types of organizations is you can get a feel for
what type of activities in ham radio interests you, without investing a
great deal of money in your own equipment, only to discover that aspect of
the hobby really isn't "for you". Think of it as a "try before you buy".

Plus, being able to operate out of the club shack gives you time to save up
for your own equipment, and not become discouraged over time because you're
not able to buy something of your own.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the nearby university where I live has a
club. Dues are cheap, and they have a shack with interesting equipment
in it. It's definitely on my list of things to check into.

And yes, by all means, renew your license. While your activity in ham radio
may come and go over time depending on other demands in life, your ham
license is always a 'free' ticket to enjoyment at some point, when you
decide to pick it up again. Follow Steve's lead and renew through the FCC
web site -- it doesn't cost you anything!

Yep, definitely planning on renewing. Thanks again for the tips!

Good luck!