Old March 29th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Russ Russ is offline

Default Rediscovering the hobby.

Michael Coslo wrote:

I've had two experiences on Ebay. One buying, and one selling. Both were
bad. When buying, the stuff wasn't as advertised, and under selling, the
buyer never showed up. Leaving bad feedback isn't much in compensation.

I've also had a couple of experiences on E-bay, I sold a refrigerator,
was a good experience, and I tried my absolute best to cancel a bid once
with no luck--a very bad experience.

snip

My XYL has a rule that I like. "On presently manufactured radios, if
it isn't 50 percent off new, buy new." On older stuff, if you can't see
and touch it, let someone else have it. Nothing like that warranty for me.

I grew up on a farm/ranch out side of "classic-smalltown", Texas.
Everything we got we ordered from either Sears or Montgomery Ward;
Shoes, shirts, basic household equipment as well as farm equipment was
all ordered mail-order.

At times we got what we wanted, other times we didn't--even from big
name stores such as Sears or Wards. Then we'd have to box the items
back up and send them back for credit... wait for the credit paperwork
(refund check) to arrive and then re-place the order. This could take
weeks and you're walking around in shoes with holes in them--for instance.

That's when I decided that I wanted to try-on what I buy--be it clothes,
or any sort of equipment. I want to turn it on, twist the knobs and
take it for some sort of test drive.

I try to always buy new, although I've only had one new HF radio since
I've been a ham. I've had new handy's for VHF/UHF and new VHF/UHF
mobiles but only one new HF, the rest have been used, and I'd been much
better off getting new then.

For years I would not even consider getting on HF because each and every
time I went to get on HF my 'used' radio would not work, I'd have to fix it.

I had not been on HF since 2001 and in 2006 I decided to try HF again,
and true to form, I turned on my HF rig and one of the large caps in the
PA decided to explode... and I mean explode.

I turned around and bought a new HF rig the very next day. I made more
contacts in the next week than I'd made in the previous eight years
total. Mainly because I didn't have to work on the radio to make it work.

Working on the radio each time I wanted to tune up took all of the fun
out of radio for me, for I wanted to do on HF what I was able to do on
VHF/UHF; i.e.: talk.

Now, I'm HF active as well as VHF/UHF and I'm really having a good time
on the bands.

Collectors will have a different outlook, of course.

This is what I can agree with, if you're only going to use it to put on
display, then that's what it would be for.

Your point about Eham is excellent, Steve. In fact, I would suggest
anyone who is interested in getting equipment should browse through
their reviews. I've spent more than a few entire evenings at their site.
I would note to the prospective buyers that they read the reviews in
addition to looking at overall ratings. There are some Hams out there
who never met a radio they didn't like! ;^) And a few who are really picky.

Same here.

Russ - KW5KW