Old March 30th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones Ivor Jones is offline

Default Call signs for foreign amateurs operating in US

"Jack VK2CJC" wrote in
message
It was a little different for me because I am a dual
citizen (Australia and the US). When I inquired they
said I couldn't use my Australian license in the US,
even though I hadn't set foot in the US in decades,
because I maintained US citizenship, so I had to take
US tests and have a US callsign when visiting.

That's cos Australia and the US don't have a reciprocal
agreement.
I'm dual citizen of Australia and the UK, and I can use
my VK call in the UK for up to 3 months if visiting. Not
that I'd want to cos I still got my UK license

I am surprised that the US don't issue temporary visitors
licenses though. Aus and UK do that.

They used to, I had to get them when I used to visit the US before they
implemented CEPT T/R 61-01. The FCC called them "Alien Permits" which
always made me feel I should have been landing in a flying saucer rather
than a 747..!

73 Ivor G6URP