Old March 30th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Call signs for foreign amateurs operating in US

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:35:33 EDT, "Jack VK2CJC"
wrote:

That's cos Australia and the US don't have a reciprocal agreement.

I'm dual citizen of Australia and the UK, and I can use my VK call in the UK
for up to 3 months if visiting. Not that I'd want to cos I still got my UK
license

I am surprised that the US don't issue temporary visitors licenses though.
Aus and UK do that.

The US does allow non-citizens to operate in the US, either through
treaties such as the CEPT and CINTEL arrangements or through specific
reciprocal agreements.

What he is referring to is that if one is a citizen of the US, one
must get a US license to operate where the US has jurisdiction
regardless of what multiple citizenship or other licenses one holds.

That closed a very big loophole where US citizens would somehow get a
foreign license in a country where the standards for licensing
depended on who you knew and who you could pay off, and then operate
in the US under a reciprocal agreement without ever taking an FCC
license exam.

This restriction is not unusual. Forty years ago when I lived in
Israel they issued me 4X4UQ because I met all the examination
requirements. This was before the reciprocal licensing agreement and
CEPT came into being and one had to have an Israeli license to operate
there. When I returned to the US I had to give up all claims of
Israeli citizenship in order to work for the U S Government (FCC).
Even returning for visits I cannot reactivate or use that call sign
unless I immigrate again and if I do so I cannot use my US call sign
under the CEPT agreement as I can when I am a short-term visitor.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon