Old April 11th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

What percentage of the general populace read EDN, Electronic Design,
and Spectrum? We can't rely on just one group of people (pros in
electronics) to provide stability or even growth. Just because a
person is an electronics pro doesn't necessarily mean that amateur
radio will tickle their fancy.

What percentage of the newspapers carried those fillers? Not many.
Of those, what percentage of people actually read the fillers tucked
in here and there in the newspaper?

We need to get the word out among the general populace not just
specialty groups.

Yes, pretty much! We also need to have our hobby in some position
to attract the general populous also. Some of the same type items that I
was writing about with Len.

I take my own situation as an example. I got into Ham radio as a
person who was interested in possible communications support and control
in matters relating to Amateur Astronomy. From there, it blossomed into
HF and to my surprise, some of the old (read hollow state) radios as well
as digital modes.

While we can say "You can communnicate with the world on HF, that
point might be lost on people who can pick up a cell phone and call most
anywhere in the world.

It might take a little while for the fact that we can do that
without any infrastructure to sink in. Once that happens, we got 'em hook
line and sinker.

The important thing is that we have to find something relevant to
the newbie to start with.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -