Old April 20th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] groupk0hb@earthlink.net is offline

Default Are we the last generation of hams?

Are we in danger of being the last generation of hams? (And if we
are, what can we do to eliminate that danger?)

First, a disclaimer. I'm into my fifth decade of being a licensed
amateur, and figure I'm good for 3 or 4 more sunspot cycles of fun. I
love amateur radio.

But I worry sometimes.

Our service will only continue to exist so long as the majority of the
worlds national governments believe that we bring value to the public
in exchange for the incredibly valuable RF spectrum that is entrusted
to our use.

I think if the members of ITU collectively asked "Are the hams of the
world doing anything which justifies their generous chunks assigned
spectrum?" the honest answer would be "Probably not."

What are we going to do about that?

73, de Hans, K0HB