Old April 21st 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Larry Larry is offline

Default Are we the last generation of hams?

wrote in news:1177105498.800186.298520
@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Our service will only continue to exist so long as the majority of the
worlds national governments believe that we bring value to the public
in exchange for the incredibly valuable RF spectrum that is entrusted
to our use.

That might have been true before 2000, but isn't true today. Some
spectrum would be lost to services who are interested in VHF/UHF and
above. But, noone wants HF any more, as is self evident by the lack of
traffic across HF outside the ham bands. Even the broadcasters, like BBC
of all entities, have reduced transmissions drastically across HF and
migrated to internet servers. Check out
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio. You
can listen to ALL the BBC radio stations from that webpage, live! The
internet is really cheap to broadcast to...much cheaper than that monster
out in the country with the big Sterba curtains. VOA is dead...RAI is
dead...Radio Switzerland is dead. (http://www.eviva.ch/ if you like
Swiss accordian music...(c Even local Swiss stations, like Radio
Berner Oberland (http://www.beo.ch) in Interlaken, Bernese Oberland on
beautiful Lake of Thun broadcasts 24/7 to the world.

What amuses me is ARRL and the other lobbies haven't just been inundating
ITU for the unused parts of HF. They can alwasy steal them back for WW3,
if it lasts over 5 days...which I doubt.

Larry W4CSC
--
..