Old April 23rd 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

KH6HZ wrote:

Yes, well, the world was a very different place 50 years ago.

Neither of my parents were required to sign an employment contract which
contains a clause to the effect of "anything you invent, even if its on your
own time, we own". Yet, such clauses are routine these days in virtually
every employment contract I've signed, or seen.

Perhaps we have the lawyerification of America to partially blame?

I signed one of those at my first technical job clear back in 1972, and
one for every employer since then. As far as I can tell, all of the
forms are valid forever, and if I invent something profitable enough,
all of my previous employers are going to go after it.

I don't think that we have become more greedy or self serving over the
years. I'm more inclined to think a nostalgia effect is at work.

I'm not really sure. Maybe people are less altruistic today than they were
30+ years ago.

In my field, I find many people writing and giving away software. I
think how much altruism exists depends on a person's outlook.

Perhaps the popularity of ham radio is declining not because of anything to
do with ham radio itself, but instead simply a matter of the changing
society in the world as a whole.

What do you base the thesis of declining popularity on?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -