Old April 23rd 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] groupk0hb@earthlink.net is offline

Default Are we the last generation of hams?

On Apr 23, 10:38 am, "Ivor Jones" wrote:

Putting my UK hat on, how would anything done by the FCC affect us over
here, or anywhere else in the world for that matter..?

It would have no regulatory effect at all outside the jurisdiction of
the FCC, and your operations wouldn't be directly affected at all.

However, presuming the idea gained traction, obviously the secondary
effect would be that hams in other countries would want to also
experiment with any new modes or techniques they heard on the air and
would petition their regulators to allow it.

I'm reminded of a "reverse" example of this which happened here in
North America awhile back. For several years Canadian amateurs were
allowed on-the-air development and use of AX-25 (packet radio) but FCC
regulations prohibited W/K hams from participating. Eventually we
were able to convince FCC to allow this mode. Thus in this example,
the action of the Canadian regulators had an indirect secondary effect
of eventually changing the mind of the FCC.

73, de Hans, K0HB