Old April 23rd 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] groupk0hb@earthlink.net is offline

Default Are we the last generation of hams?

On Apr 23, 2:18 pm, Steve Bonine wrote:

My focus tends to be increasing the overall population of the users
to increase the usage of our allocations, thus justifying them.

I'm not persuaded of the validity of that approach for a couple of
reasons.

1) There's no shortage of hams.

2) In many cases, simple "usage" has not been sufficient to retain an
allocation. Notice for example, television broadcasters (a much more
powerful 'lobby' than ham radio) has already been kicked off channels
70 through 83 and are in the process of being kicked off channels 52
through 69. In the near future television broadcasters will also lose
the heavily occupied VHF channels. If the politically and financially
powerful broadcasting industry could not retain those assignments, how
can hams even pretend to be able to make a case based on "population
of users" who are for the most part avocational users?

73, de Hans, K0HB