Old April 23rd 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] groupk0hb@earthlink.net is offline

Default Are we the last generation of hams?

On Apr 23, 2:18 pm, Steve Bonine wrote:

How many people do you think would obtain this license?

Intially, I'm sure it would be a small number. Back in 1963 when I
obtained my Extra license, mine was the 48th issued in my district.
(Yes, they gave you a numbered certificate!). That was some 12 years
after the Extra came available.

But my Extra back then didn't carry any additional privileges, no
additional frequencies, no special call letters, nothing but a
numbered certificate.

In contrast, the "super-Extra" which I propose would carry with it a
reward in the freedom of almost unlimited experimental exploration,
and might appeal to that population of latent scientists and
communications inventors which we were often reminded of during the
run-up to the removal of the Morse exam. I obviously can't 'crystal
ball' how large that population is, but the 'opportunity cost' to find
out is certainly not prohibitive. Can't see where it would hurt us,
and the potential upside is exciting to me.

73, de Hans, K0HB