Old April 26th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] groupk0hb@earthlink.net is offline

Default ARRL Sweepstakes QST report

"RDW" has hit on one of my hot buttons here.

wrote:

It is my understanding that the move to put most of the info on the
website rather than QST has been driven by three factors:

1) Results analysis is easier on the website

I don't care if ARRL puts these things on their website. But I DO
care when they remove them from our club newsletter (yes, Virginia,
ARRL is, in the final analysis, a radio club and QST is the club
newsletter. --- Hold that thought....

2) There are more contests today

More than when? I don't recall that ARRL sponsored a new contest in
decades.

3) Complaints from noncontesters about how much QST space was being
used.

[rant]

Here's my cut on that. Editorial policy of a club newsletter
shouldn't be based on complaints, it should be based on FULL coverage
of ALL of the clubs activities. Perhaps the editors of QST agree with
that, perhaps not, but the point is moot because this decision was
driven by the BoD, not the editor.

Will these same complaints "about how much web server space is being
used" cause similar cuts there?

Three of the groups which comprise the core membership of the ARRL
radio club are Contesters, DXers, and the Field Organization. They're
not the only three, maybe not even the top three, but they are
certainly in the top 5 or 6 'interest groups' in the club.

Yet, in recent decisions the BoD has stripped contest line scores,
most DXCC listings, and Section News from our newsletter. I'm sure
that saves some page-count in QST, but it seems false economy to snub
"who brought you to the dance" just because someone(s) complained they
took up space on your dance card.

[/rant]

73, de Hans, K0HB