Old April 27th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default "Are ham radio operators still around, even?"

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:

And therein lies my biggest beef with Radio Shack ... more and more of
their merchandise is listed on their website as "web only" and isn't even
carried in their stores.

I think that's a reflection of what people are buying. Our local Radio
Shack relocated recently, and in the process their selection of
electronic components decreased. But look at it from the point of view
of the person who owns the store . . . they've got a limited amount of
floor space, and they need to use it in the best way to maximize profit.
If they sell a dozen components a month for a net profit of $10, that
large cabinet full of electronic components isn't pulling its weight.
Better to replace it with another display of cell phones, boom boxes,
MP3 players, or whatever is selling these days.

I have written to their corporate HQ many times to complain about this in
the most courteous and respectful terms I can muster, and they have
completely ignored every single communication.

While there's no excuse for this, I suspect that in today's corporate
world it's not that unusual. Paying staff for reading and responding to
letters from customers is expensive.

I often wonder why they bother with their stores anymore.

I'm assuming (with full knowledge of what that word really means) that
their stores are still profitable -- just not selling electronic components.

A faux news service the Onion may be, but they hit the nail right on the
head with that article.

Frankly, Radio Shack has always been a source that I used only when I
needed something *now* and was willing to pay a stiff premium to have it
in hand. For me, now that they stock less and less of the stuff that
falls into that category, they're less and less useful. But don't
forget that we are not their only customer segment, and probably have
never been their most profitable one. Markets change and the stores
serving those markets have to change too . . . or die . . . or both.

73, Steve KB9X