Old April 30th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones Ivor Jones is offline

Default 2m FM calling practices

wrote in message
ups.com
On Apr 29, 5:16 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:

In the USA, CQ is not used for VHF/UHF FM. Simply
callsign monitoring. CQ is used for the VHF/UHF SSB mode

Lamont

In some areas of the U.S, "CQ" is certainly used on
VHF/UHF FM. If a CQ works on 160 through 10 and works on
6m, 2m and 70cm SSB or CW, pressing the PTT switch and
saying, "CQ from K8MN" works fine on VHF or UHF FM.

Dave K8MN

It's most certainly used here and the 2m FM band is heavily used in many
places.

"S20" (or "V40" as I suppose we should call it now that 12.5 kHz channels
have come into use) is the calling channel, calls are made and established
there, *only then* should another channel be checked to see if it's clear
*at both ends* before moving there to continue the QSO.

The annoying thing about the practice of announcing that you will be
listening on a frequency *other* than the established calling channel is
as I said, that the person calling has no idea if the frequency they
propose to use is clear where the person who answers the call is. If the
person answering is mobile, it's almost certain they won't hear anyone
else unless the calling station is very close by.

73 Ivor G6URP