Old May 3rd 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] stevenrobeson@yahoo.com is offline

Default Are we the last generation of hams?

On Apr 21, 12:20�am, AF6AY wrote:
wrote on Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:00:34 EDT:

Are we in danger of being the last generation of hams?

I'd say no. At my test session of 25 Feb 07 there were at
least two teen-agers applying for an amateur radio license.
Given that I was born before the FCC was created, the "last"
generation would be at least three before me... :-)

Perhaps "last era" of Amateurs may have been more appropriate and
descriptive.

(And if we are, what can we do to eliminate that danger?)

What "danger?" I see none. But more on that later.

First, a disclaimer. I'm into my fifth decade of being a licensed
amateur, and figure I'm good for 3 or 4 more sunspot cycles of fun. I
love amateur radio.

Well, I've been a licensed commercial radio operator since
1956 and a licensed radio amateur since 2007. It has, in
between getting a whole new station set up, been fun.

But has been, nonetheless, NOT Amateur related. Trying to
parallel Amaeur and Commerical HF radio operation is the proverbial
Apples-vs-Oranges argument. No doubt your commercial experience was
rewarding on it's own level.

Our service will only continue to exist so long as the majority of the
worlds national governments believe that we bring value to the public
in exchange for the incredibly valuable RF spectrum that is entrusted
to our use.

I would suggest rewording that to say "bring value to the
citizens [of various nations] in terms of their enjoyment
and well-being" or something like that. I don't see that an
"exchange" of anything is necessary or warranted.

But that "exchage" is exactly what's infered, albeit not
mandatory in PART 97.

Pulling out the Red Book (NTIA) or the big chart in Part 2,
Title 47 C.F.R. on which radio service gets what in the EM
spectrum, we can find some items for USA citizens that
appear to have no intrinsic value whatsoever:

1. 30 KHz bandspace absolutely license free at 160 - 190 KHz.
Been there a long time in regulations, sees little use.

2. 400 KHz bandspace for CB (40 channels at "11m") for nothing
but Personal Communications. No license required. He

avily
used on highways, all states.

3. 1.6 MHz (!) bandspace at 72 to 73, 75.4 to 76 MHz, 80
channels for nothing but model air and surface radio
control. No license required. A very fun hobby.

4. There's more, also regulated by Part 95, Title 47 C.F.R.,
such as Family Radio Service unlicensed transceivers, but
you get the picture, I'm sure.

5. I'm not even counting the RF emitters of very short range
such as the Keyless Auto Entry transmitters (millions) or
the Bluetooth earpieces (look, ma, no wires to my cellphon

e),
the tens of thousands of Wireless LANs that have invaded
residences, the "WiFi" links of Internet to PCs, or other
RF emitters that make our lives easier now, replacing hard
wired or mechanical functions done previously.

All of the above services to citizens which could be categorized
as "unessential" services since they don't immediately secure
their absolute safety or insure their well-being. The above are
available in nearly all countries although their authorized
frequencies may vary due to their adminstrations' regulations.
Items (2) through (5) came into being within the last two decades
or so.

The model radio control bandspace is only 100 KHz narrower than
the worldwide 10m amateur band. Model radio control is pure
hobby-amusement and no modeler (that I've heard/seen) makes any
claims of supplanting vehicles in case of disaster or emergency,
nor is that hobby claimed to be a starting point for any
life-long career in using/designing vehicles, boats, or
aircraft.

All of those allocations you cite are NOT Amateur Radio
allocations albeit they are deceidedly in the public interest to exist
since the public deamnds it.

How is this related to the longevity of the AMATEUR Service?

I think if the members of ITU collectively asked "Are the hams of the
world doing anything which justifies their generous chunks assigned
spectrum?" the honest answer would be "Probably not."

I will ask "which chunks in what spectrum?" Hams of the HF
persuasion are one group, the "VHF-ers" (and up) are the other.
HF has been relatively static in change for at least two
decades, and decreased prior to that with many communications
services formerly on HF migrating to satellite relay.

I'd say by the international press covering numerous uses of the
Amateur services recently that you're both incorrect.

Also, the the communications that Len refers to as "migrating to
satellite relay" are, once again, NOT Amateur Radio functions.

Snippage.

What are we going to do about that?

Speaking from 54 years from my first HF radio experience to
becoming a new amateur nearly two months ago and observing
EM spectrum use while working in industry in all the time
in between, I would say "don't take yourselves so seriously
within your radio service!" Amateur radio is a hobby, a fun
hobby. If other countries' hobbyists can enjoy some chunks
of EM spectrum just for hobbyist fun, then why can't the USA?

For many people Amateur Radio is a hobby.

For others it is a tool to be used for a greater need.

The wide brush applying "hobby" does not fit.

As to this whole claim of being a backup communications
provider when the infrasture fails in disasters, I have to
say show me in a detailed report where it was essential.

The Midwest Floods of 1992. Katrina. Rita. Andrew. Spetember
11th. At least accoriding to the NOAA, The American Red Cross, The
Salvation Army, The Department of Defense, The Department of State,
etc etc etc.

Having been required to design electronics for terrible
environments, I know that amateur radio equipment isn't
going to survive better than the infrastructures' gear.
[see May QST for one piece of equipment that didn't survive
Katrina...lost with one amateur's entire station]

ONE Amateur's...Amateur Radio's greatest strength is in its
multiplicty of resources...Every licensee is yet another "facility"
from which to draw upon. No one piece of radio gear is
indestructable.

The COMMERICAL infrastructure's weakness is it's limitied
numbers, complexity of technology and it's cost. AMATEUR Radio's
strengths are just the opposite.

The Public Safety Radio Services have their radios now and
use them every day. NOAA has its weather observation
services plus satellite downlinks.

Funny you mention the NOAA. One of thier "Enviromental Heros"
this past Earth Day was an Amateur licensee (KC5EZZ), and he was
recognized specificallly for his contributions to NOAA with an
extended Amateur Radio net.

Harbor and inland
waterways have their radio services and plans for
emergencies there. The FAA routinely handles aircraft
emergencies every week with the aid of radio. Believe it
or not, the telephony infrastructure can come back to life
when its subscribers stop all trying to use their
switching system all at once; they've had battery backup in
central offices for more than half a century. Truckers
daily help fellow motorists on highways, sometimes alerted
over their CBs. Yes, amateur radio CAN be a help in
emergencies just as ALL citizens can be a help, with or
without any license for anything.

There hasn't been any need for trained morse code operators
for over a decade for any WWII-era "pool" to help the
nation. With anything in radio. The miliaries do adequate
training of their members, government radio with theirs.
I'd say the salient feature of amateur radio is its ability
to introduce newcomers to a fascinating technologically-
heavy activity...somethine they can have fun with while
learning. For youngsters it MIGHT be a starting point for
their eventual working careers. For adults and older folks
it can be just fun in itself. There's seemingly some
puritanical echoes in the general repeated "reasons" for
being IN amateur radio...those leave out the FUN element.
I see that as a liability to ham radio promotion,
diametrically opposite to being an asset. Is having fun
so terrible? Especially having fun while learning a new
technology (for newcomers) or new application (for those
already experienced)?

Perhaps after you've joined some local Amateur clubs and actually
get an opportunity to exercise the privileges of your newly acquired
license your scope of experience as to what Amateur Radio is, can be,
and has been will be enhanced.

Recreation IS, to my mind, an asset for all.

It is.

But no where in Part 97 is the word "recreation" used.

That the Amateur Service does provide recreation is a given. But
some continue to insist that "recreation" or "hobby use" is ALL that
the Amateur Service is required to provide.

Almost 100 years of history has proven differently and even in
today's techno-saavy society continues to be so.

It diverts
our stresses from making a living, eases tensions, makes
a life experience more enjoyable. If that recreation can
also increase individuals' intellectual capacity, I say "so
much the better!" Maybe I'm biased having been IN the
electronics industry so long (sans 'benefit' of ham
license) and maybe because I happen to like the fascinating
technology enough that I liked most of my work. It has
been a great, stimulating trip for me and it is still
happening. It could be for others, too, those who look
forward instead of backward to what was, a was that will
never be again.

There's still plenty of time for you to expand the scope of your
HF experience, Len. Drop kick that "commercial operator" mode and re-
focus on AMATEUR applications for a while! You'll enjoy it!

73

Steve, K4YZ