Old May 3rd 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
AF6AY AF6AY is offline

Default Are we the last generation of hams?

From: wrote on Wed 2 May 2007 23:35:

On Apr 21, 12:20?am, AF6AY wrote:

There's still plenty of time for you to expand the scope of your
HF experience, Len. Drop kick that "commercial operator" mode and re-
focus on AMATEUR applications for a while! You'll enjoy it!

I will politiely ask you to rephrase that paragraph.

I cannot "drop kick" my previous life experience. In granting me
an Amateur Extra license, the FCC has not required that I give up
anything (as in discarding or "drop kicking") insofar as radio...nor
of experience in radio nor of formal training in radio. Further, the
FCC gives all licensees a great deal of freedom of choice in their
class's frequency spectrum and modes of communications. There
is no compelling mandate that any licensee must 'operate' in
according to what certain groups of amateurs say one must.

"Radio" and all of electronics works by the same laws of physics,
regardless of the federal regulations on use made by governments.
The jargon, phrases, type of communication conveyed may vary
between different administrated radio services, but the basic laws
of physics will still apply on RF generation and the way it is
propagated.

The scope, content of my personal activities are of no one's concern,
nor should they be. If I choose to convey my gained experience and
knowledge into amateur radio, that is my concern. Such might help
others with lesser experience and knowledge, not hinder anything.
I don't choose to isolate myself solely into some amateur lifestyle
and there is no specific requirement as to what I 'should' or 'must'
do as an amateur radio licensee other than obey the regulations.

In all electronic communications, telegraphy was first a commercial
activity, wired and by radio later. Single-channel single sideband
was first a commercial activity, first wired (in long-lines service
as
frequency-multiplexed multiple voice channels) then by radio..
Voice communications was first a commercial activity (via
broadcasting, first on AM then on FM). Data communications by
radio was first a commercial activity, wired then by radio (although
called 'teleprinter' before the word 'data' became the vogue). Tele-
vision was first a commercial activity, again via broadcasting. The
various TORs (Teleprinter Over Radio) were all a commercial activity
first. Both direct sequence and frequency-hopping spread spectrum
techniques were first a military, then a commercial activity. All of
those have since been adopted for amateur radio use. To "drop
kick" the commercial modes would be to remove all modes of
communications available to U.S. radio amateurs today...except
PSK31, a data mode exclusively innovated-invented-designed by
Peter Martinez, G3PLX, solely for amateur radio use.

73, Len AF6AY