Old May 5th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] crn@NOSPAM.netunix.com is offline

Default Line of sight vs. RF in wartime question

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
Back in the mid 50's on patrol in the Formosa Straights I had daily
challenges to read code being jammed by the Chinese. I knew then, that only
Morse code would be a viable means of communication. Even as we, in the
Navy, were installing the new teletype systems. A single ping of
interference on the teletype signal would cause an error. Then came Single
Sideband, and then digital.

What I'm getting at is what I read about the recent battle between Israel
and the Iranian sponsored terrorists and how they were able to almost
disrupt communications through jamming techniques, but the Israeli's
prevailed through the use of line of sight technology.

Virtually all military radiocomms nowadays uses spread spectrum techniques
to avoid jamming and interference.

For voice an SSB frequency hopper is simple and reliable. Digital stuff
tends to use broadband code sequence modulation.