Old May 7th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
RDWeaver RDWeaver is offline

Default How Popular Is/Was Amateur Radio

On May 6, 4:06 pm,
) wrote:

Some years ago, I realized that a lot of the people I ran across
in my brief visit to Fairbanks were hams. If someone here has an
easy way to get the number of licensees up there, we can compare
it to the Census Bureau's 2003 estimate of 31,000 people.

If you look at the numbers on a "by state" basis, Alaska has the
largest per-capita density of hams, at about 4.8 hams per thousand.
New York and Louisiana are least dense with about 1.4 hams per
thousand.

The Northwest seems for some reason to be popular for hams. My home
state of Oregon has 3.6 hams per thousand, and all the other W7 states
except Arizona have over 3 hams per thousand, while the national
average is significanly lower at 2.1 hams per thousand.

73, RDW