Old May 9th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
AF6AY AF6AY is offline

Default How Popular Is/Was Amateur Radio

On May 8, 3:36�am, "Dee Flint" wrote:
"AF6AY" wrote in message

When I licensed back in 1992, the majority of the people in the class and

at
the various test sessions as I went up the ladder were these "honey-do" h

ams
and the family group communications types. This type of use was heavily
promoted to non-hams by hams of the day. I heard a lot of chit chat o

n the
repeaters, including discussions on errands etc, between family members as
they traveled around town. While there is no issue with this, the down

side
was that many became inactive as they got cell phones. Only a few seem

ed to
carry forward into other areas of ham radio activity.

Well, I was curious about that, wondering if it was some kind of
local or regional thing. Here in the populous southwestern corner
of the USA there didn't seem to be too much of that. In the
Greater Los Angeles area (population roughly 8 million and spread
out over a large area), the LOS repeaters were carrying lots of
club activities with those clubs involved in amateur radio doings
rather than the "honey-do" kind of thing.

73, Len AF6AY