Old May 10th 07, 10:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default How Popular Is/Was Amateur Radio

On May 9, 10:30�pm, K�HB wrote:

It was a term usually used in a pejorative manner to imply that the
licensees (often married couples) didn't get their licenses for the
'right' reasons and weren't 'real' Amateurs.

Then it's a regional thing, because here in EPA, and in other areas
where I've heard the term used, I never heard
it used in a pejorative manner. It was simply a descriptive,
similar to "DX'er" or "contester" or "ragchewer".

My spouse got her
license in that era (early 90's) and even though she is a General and
we collaborate in many 'real' amateur activies like contesting (see
our two Divisional multi-op Championships in SS CW Iin 03 and 06 at
K0RT), one of our local 'influential' hams recently commented that she
got into Amateur Radio 'as one of those honey-do hams'.

Well, people say all sorts of things, true or not.....

Besides, it's common for amateurs to get their license for
one reason or set of reasons but then branch out into other
areas.

Word meanings sometimes change over time. Like the word "handle"....

73 de Jim, N2EY