Old May 11th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
The Shadow The Shadow is offline

Default The term "Elmer"

"LA4RT Jon Kåre Hellan" wrote in message
How old is the term "Elmer"?

I was licensed in 1973 or 74, and remained active until abt. 1980. I
can't remember the term "Elmer" from then. This was in Norway, of
course, but I did read QST and the ARRL books. The first mention of
"Elmer" I can remember was on the internet - slashdot.org - in the
nineties. (I didn't find my way back into radio until 2004.)

Did I just miss "Elmer" in the seventies, or is the term more recent?

73
LA4RT Jon

From the internet a few years ago, this was reported.

""From Norm K1AA " The term "Elmer" was invented in the early 1970s (1971
, I
think) by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD" W9BRD was a radio dispatcher with the Illin
ois
State Police. One of his co-workers was Elmer "Bud" Frohardt, W9GFF, now
W9DY. I've only met W9BRD once, but I've known W9DY since 1968. Bud was v
ery
well known locally for his involvement with the RAMS (Radio Amateur
Megacycle Society) radio club, and he was always helping newcomers to the

hobby. So when Rod Newkirk started writing about Elmer in the "How's DX"
column in QST, he was writing about his friend Bud. I saw Bud quite recen
tly
and asked him to re-confirm my recollection that he was the inspiration f
or
Elmer, and he did." From From Norm K1AA

Lamont